Saturday, November 17, 2012

Tout Va Bien


I'm wondering if this is a common thought. Even with my enormous knowledge and appreciation of film, I still hold onto some préconceptions when I think of certain types and movements in cinema, that once in a while, discourages me from watching them. Because, honestly, sometimes I'm just looking to tune out and watch something fun like most people.
I wonder if this is a common occurrence?
The french La Nouvelle Vague movement, is one of those pieces of film history that I haven't explored to the fullest. I feel that there is this silly idea in my head that the body of work is inaccessable films made by pretentious film critics.

...And I would be totally wrong.

When reading my "top three..." post, you'll find one of the most famous pieces, "the 400 blows" listed as a huge influence on me. Sometimes I forget that the other films involved with Nouvelle Vague are just as personal and accessible. This is especially true with Godard. Whose display of knowledge with technique is unparalleled, and represented so clearly in is work. His knowledge of different film conventions of storytelling and breaking down those conventions and using that as a part of his storytelling is masterful.

It's fun to watch, and interesting subjects. Godard likes to have fun with film, break the rules he knows so well, and still remains insightful with his commentary.

Tout Va Bien
This is the hilarious poke at the conventions and process of filmmaking I was speaking of. During a strike at a meat factory. A news team husband and wife, hole up with the corporate manager in his office as the employees take over, and make their grievances known with very frank interviews. The film is depicting similar class struggles of that of the french revolution. One of the most common mechanisms used is "breaking the 4th wall", which for people who don't know, the characters break through (figuratively lol) the screen and speak, or are perceived to be speaking, directly to the audience. As seen in the screenshot below, Godard goes so far as to create his set as a cross section, so the audience is forced to see and experience everyone equally.


I was most surprised to find how funny and thoughtful this film was. Wrapping back around to the opening paragraph of my exposition, I found this to be very entertaining. And that was the flip I had while watching it. I went and rented another Godard film the very next day. It was a similar feeling to finding that old band you haven't listened to in a while and once you hear them again there is this flush of emotion, nostalgic but in a new appreciation kinda way.


The opening narration started me off to a good pace. With a discussion of what character beats to use during the making of the film we're about to watch. The movie is scattered with brief moments of film processing. There is an intimacy included, involved with not only the subject matter, but of the filmmaking process overall. And how much the two are blended together with visuals, story, the acting.


The story involves a reporter and her director husband getting involved with covering the struggles of workers striking against their meat factory employers. Throughout you find the relationship struggles involved with the two principals to be almost voyeuristic. With being so surrounded and involved with the events we're brought into, the relationship is taut with a true sense of realism.


The film is very clever. As my viewing partner pointed out (Sarah, an excellent movie watching partner), the interviews conducted of the striking workers are devoid of the questions being asked them, and instead are shown as a kind of monologe with only the answers in succession, as if the interview is being conducted but only hearing one side. It was interesting, funny, clever. And a great way to point out who's outlook we're really paying attention to in the moment. It's one of the most effective "breaking the 4th wall" examples I've seen.




I know this is a very brief overview for something from a master like Godard, but I was filled with so many thoughts from watching this...It was hard to nail it down...I just wanted to get it out there.




A wonderful reintroduction to Nouvelle Vague (The new wave) and I will be watching this one again very soon.

Re watching the classic "Breathless" might also be on the menu.





No comments:

Post a Comment