Friday, June 1, 2012

Films of Youth


The Sandlot:

So, I realize if I'm going to get into the baseball movies I should probably start with "The Bad News Bears"...but I'm not. Because however much I love that movie, I wasn't around when it came out (or rather I wasn't going to see movies yet) and so my experience with it is kinda second hand.

The Sandlot however, I remember going to see in theaters ( I must have been 9 or 10 years old) and just falling deep in love with it.

The story is so genuine, so natural. It hits that note every filmmaker dreams of hitting with their material. Every point and emotion that's communicated here lands solid on its feet.

I greatly appreciate the deeper themes involved with it. Like "Stand By Me", it deals with real emotional complexities, explained and delivered in such a way that kids who see it will understand how other kids deal with not so typical situations. It's a film that breeds understanding and the acceptance of differences in others.

The main character has lost his father, and a new step father is in the picture. Right off the bat (ho ho, get it?) conflict is there for growth from both the child and the father figure. They both have something to learn about acceptance.

There really isn't anything here for a parent to be concerned about in this warm and just lovely film. So I guess talking about it kind of defeats the purpose of this blog but...I just love it so much.
It's also why I'm cutting this post short.

Next we talk about "The Bad News Bears" which I know some parents are concerned about...So I'll try to dispel the assumptions that it's inappropriate for kids, and thus more kids will see and appreciate the awesomeness of the "Bears".

Till next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment