Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Master in 70mm @ The Castro Theater SF


The Master presented in 70mm @ The Castro. 8/21/12

One thing I will say first....the argument of digital vs. film has no basis after viewing this movie. Film is vastly superior to digital. It is very important, if at all possible, to view this in a 70mm presentation.
Stunningly cinematography is shown here. Anderson's fight to shoot this in 65mm was a worthy battle, because every frame of this is breathtaking.

...just had to say all that now so I don't ramble on about it while discussing the rest of the film.

As I was walking down the crowded Castro St, feeling that special cold chill that's only felt in San Francisco, I kept harking back to a moment of the "process" where you go beyond, backwards into your past life, and remember traumatic events, during a type of hypnosis session.

A moving and airy portrayal showing the creation of a person's being, his very fabric being molded. I associated the progression of Phoenix and Hoffman's relationship to that of the relationship parents have to their first born children. Perplexed, scared, protective, in awe of, frustrating, forgiving and patient towards.

During the film, I felt I was in a pure soul's dream. A young soul, fresh outta the gate and has no history to reference back to. A haunting dream of someone wandering through the details of memory, trying to remember how the pieces fit. I thought of the lessons taught down to me through school, parenting, role modals. How do you make sense of all this information. What does it do to the shaping of the soul. The effect of influence on others, in this, is a paramount thought. What kind of power does the idea of "suggestion" really have.

I was watching someone trying to remember a past life, and the remembrance of that is this film. It's a worthy note, that Anderson has been lingering around Kubrick's lineage for a while...and he took a big step closer with this. In a good way.

It's a beautiful character creation by Phoenix. Who I feel rivel's Day-Lewis's performance from PTA's previous 'Blood'.

I'm still a little swept away from the whole of it. Upon a second viewing I will bring further thoughts. But for right now, just hours after watching...My head churns more by the min.

This was still an early print, meaning there was no credits. The 70mm was just beautiful, in a beautiful theater, live organ player and all. A truly memorable movie going experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment