Thursday, October 25, 2012

MVFF #35 The Sessions


This is one of the more pleasant films to play at the Mill Valley Film Festival. "The Sessions” is the story of UC Berkeley graduate and Poet, Mark O'Brian. Disabled from Polio, he's spent most of his years in an iron lung. The moment of his life depicted in the film is when he decides to lose his virginity...in his late 30's, by hiring a "sex surrogate", whom educates with physical intimate contact for therapeutic ends.
             The film itself has a tone I found to be between a cable movie of the week, and a Mike Nichols drama. Meaning the subtle way serious subject matter is handled in a light and direct way (“Mrs. Robinson, you’re trying to seduce me…) it’s such a positive human story to begin with, but I think what else drew me in was the films incredibly honest view on sex. The way the filmmakers handled the material in a non-sensational and unembarrassed way, took me aback considering the notorious ways subject matter like this is usually handled in American cinema. By the end, honestly, I could see this being a most effective tool for education purposes. Not only does it teach bluntly the physical, but deftly communicates the emotional aspects of sex, and its repercussions, as well as how to navigate them. Something I feel is incredibly lacking the sex education of our youth…getting off my soapbox. It was a joy to see this material handled in a truly developed and open way.
             The performances are what elevate this closer to the "Mike Nichols" side of the spectrum. With John Hawkes proving once again to be a strong staple in films. I never was partial to the term “character actor” but of that described class of performers; he’s one at the top. Hawkes been on a roll recently, with his tremendous and frightening turn in “ Martha Marcy May Marlene” but has enjoyed a steady workload especially with the ambitious HBO series “Deadwood”. I'm one that’s glad he's getting his dues. And however much I loved Phoenix in "The Master", I wouldn't be upset at Hawkes taking the acting statue at this years Oscar’s (Day-Lewis as Lincoln is coming soon so that debate might be rendered moot soon) If you watch YouTube videos of the real Mark, it’s a frighteningly accurate performance by Hawkes. His charm and nuances due to the disability are remarkably recreated by Hawkes. He is deserves all the accolades that are coming to him.
            Helen Hunt was a wonderful return to the screen for me. Characterizing perfectly the strength and vulnerability needed for the surrogate, Cheryl Cohen-Greene. But also, and this is a key attribute, outspoken unashamed attitude towards her profession. She maintained that demeanor so consistently and effortlessly.

            Side story. I actually became acquaintances with the real Cheryl, a year or two before this film happened, as I found we lived in the same town for years. In fact, before I got the job at Mill Valley Film Festival (projectionist) she had been talking about this movie and Helen Hunt playing her. And now seeing the fruition of those stories, the screening held a special weight for me. Helen nailed her perfectly, but didn’t forget to infuse that little special piece of Helen to round it out. They are “players” after all. And she was just living it up, coming in person to this premier screening.
            William H. Macy was a revelation of a portrayal for the priest best friend who smokes and drinks, and gives him God's pass to have sex out of wedlock. A really great depiction of how I always thought a religious figure to be. He definitely rounded out my sentiments stated above concerning this optimistic viewpoint on very sensitive subject matter.
            It's a very well rounded film, soft and light. But the warmth is very vibrant. With so many films seemingly infused with nihilism, some with similar subject matter (see my views on the Israeli film “The Slut”). It gives me a strong feeling of hope to see this beautiful example of the goodness in humanity. And that one-day we can all see these sentiments on sexuality and intimacies infuse more of everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment